Learn more about labiaplasty in Northern California.
While it is not discussed openly, several women worry about the appearance of their vaginal lips, which may cause them to be less confident.
Plastic surgeons Drs. Francisco Canales and Heather Furnas can help Santa Rosa, CA women feel more attractive and comfortable with surgical vaginal rejuvenation that improves the shape and size of the labia. The labia, which are the external lips of the vaginal area, can look oversized or have hanging skin created by genetics, childbirth, pregnancy, or an injury. A labiaplasty surgically decreases the size of the labia majora and/or minora to create an improved look. This may eliminate irritation and discomfort while boosting sexual pleasure and confidence. Come in for a consult at Plastic Surgery Associates of Santa Rosa in Santa Rosa, California to hear more about labiaplasty and see if you may be a candidate for the surgery.
Dr. Francisco Canales and Dr. Heather Furnas are board-certified plastic surgeons with additional training in labiaplasty, and are international leaders in labiaplasty surgery. They have published many articles and book chapters on labiaplasty and vaginoplasty surgery, trained hundreds of plastic surgeons around the world in their techniques, and received professional awards for their work in this area. See below for awards and extensive international publications and presentations on labiaplasty.
- Tiffany Award, for Best Scientific Presentation of the Aesthetic Meeting 2016: Furnas H. Why Women Request Labiaplasty. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, April 29, 2017.
PEER_REVIEWED SCIENTIFIC PAPERS
- S, Li AY, Canales FL, Furnas HJ. Why women request labiaplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139:856-863. (Selected for a Hot Topics Video: “Understanding why women request labiaplasty” Plastic Surgery Hot Topics with Rod J. Rohrich, MD, Available at: http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Pages/videogallery.aspx?videoId=1084&autoPlay=true
- Sorice S, Li AY, Canales FL, Furnas HJ. Why women request labiaplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139:856-863. (Selected for a Hot Topics Video: “Understanding why women request labiaplasty” Plastic Surgery Hot Topics with Rod J. Rohrich, MD, Available at: http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Pages/videogallery.aspx?videoId=1084&autoPlay=true
- Furnas HJ. Trim Labiaplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2017;5(5):e1349. Available at: https://journals.lww.com/prsgo/fulltext/2017/05000/Trim_Labiaplasty.8.aspx
- Furnas HJ, Canales FL. 2017;5(11):e1558. Vaginoplasty and perineoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. Available at: http://journals.lww.com/prsgo/Fulltext/2017/11000/Vaginoplasty_and_Perineoplasty.19.aspx
- Virk SS, Li AY, Canales FL, Furnas HJ. The Role of Pornography, Physical Symptoms, and Appearance in Labiaplasty Interest. Aesthet Surg J. 2019;40(8): 876–883. https://doi.org/10.1093/asj/sjz254
- Sorice-Virk S, Li AY, Canales FL, Furnas HJ. Comparison of Patient Symptomatology before and after Labiaplasty, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2020;146 (3):526-536. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000007081
- Michael W. Wells; Irene A. Chang; Robin T. Wu; David X. Zheng; James R. Gatherwright; Heather J. Furnas. Labiaplasty: Analysis of the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Database. Published online ahead of print March 2, 2022. https://academic.oup.com/asj/advance-article/doi/10.1093/asj/sjac045/6539843?guestAccessKey=292ba5ad-d294-40d8-bf9b-50a493f55c07
- Sorice S, Li AY.; Canales FL, Furnas HJ.. Reply: Why Women Request Labiaplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 140(6):829e-830e, December 2017.
- Canales FL, Furnas HJ. Nonsurgical Vaginal Treatments. Advances in Cosmetic Surgery. Advances in Cosmetic Surgery. Vol. 2, Issue 1; Elsevier. Philadelphia: June, 2019: 195–201.
- Why patients request labiaplasty. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Aesthetic Surgery, Mandalay Bay Hotel, April 6, 2016.
- Surgical approaches for labiaplasty and vaginal rejuvenation. Presented at Hot Topics panel, ASPS, September 23, 2016, Los Angeles, California.
- Sorice S, Li AY, Canales FL, Furnas HJ. Why patients request labiaplasty. Abstract presented ASPS, September 25, 2016, Los Angeles, California.
- Masters Class in Aesthetic Female Genital Surgery—Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty. Aesthetica, New Orleans Marriott, New Orleans, LA. March 2, 2017.
- Hot Topics Panel Discussant: Discussion: How Effective is Nonsurgical Vaginal Tightening? Should We Be Doing Surgical Vaginal Tightening? How Do We Market these Procedures? Canales P, Furnas H, Placik O, Tenenbaum M, Walden, J; Moderators: Del Vecchio, D, Haws, M. ASAPS Annual Meeting, April 28, 2017, San Diego, CA.
- Labiaplasty and beyond: Instructional course. American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, October 8, 2017.
- Comprehensive vaginal rejuvenation. American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery at American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, October 10, 2017.
- Hamori C, speaker; Ahmad J, analyst; Furnas HJ, pundit; Khanna J, moderator. Labial and Vaginal Rejuvenation—Zealot Phase? Check! What Have
We Learned? Technology vs Exisional Techniques: Developing an Algorithm. American Society of Plastic Surgeons’ Breast and Body conference, San Francisco, CA, October 21, 2017.
- Aesthetic Principles in Vulvovaginal Rejuvenation. Special Guest Speaker, Joint North Carolina Society and South Carolina Society of Plastic Surgeons, Annual Scientific Meeting, The Sanctuary, Kiawah Island, SC, November 4, 2018.
- Female Genital Rejuvenation, a webinar for the American Association of Plastic Surgeons with Walden J, Hunter J, Furnas HJ, and Alter G. Presenter of Vaginoplasty and Perineoplasty. January 16, 2019.
- Advanced Approaches to Labial Re-Shaping, Revisions, Complications. The Annual Meeting of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, The Olympia, London, October 11, 2019.
- Contemporary Approaches to Vaginal Rejuvenation. The Annual Meeting of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, The Olympia, London, October 11, 2019.
- Should We Even Be Doing Labiaplasty? Furnas HJ, Banwell P, Sacks, L, Wright A. The Annual Meeting of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, The Olympia, London, October 11, 2019.
- Vaginal Rejuvenation topics (Labiaplasty, Vaginoplasty, Comprehensive Approach to Vaginal Rejuvenation. Annual Meeting of Asociación Española de Cirugía Estética Plástica, Hotel Rui Plaza de España, Madrid, Spain. November 7, 2019.
- Labiaplasty Techniques, Safety, and Outcomes. Stanford Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds via Zoom. May 12, 2020.
- Labiaplasty Techniques, Safety, and Outcomes. University of California Davis Plastic Surgery. Aesthetic Society Traveling Professor, via Zoom. March 2, 2021.
- Labiaplasty Techniques, Safety, and Outcomes as The Aesthetic Surgery Traveling Professor. May 12, 2021, University of California, San Diego, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, via Zoom.
- The Aesthetic Society Traveling Professor Program: Labiaplasty Techniques, Safety, and Outcomes. Yale Plastic Surgery Residents. March 30, 2022. 330 Cedar Street, Boardman Building, New Haven.
- Unpaid Consultant for Specialized (CEO Andy Pruitt), the maker of a woman’s bicycle seat to relieve pressure on the labia. 2017-2018. https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/womens-power-pro-with-mimic/p/159128?color=239333-159128&searchText=27119-8133
- Investigator, LABIA-Q Patient Reported Outcome Measures, 2019 – present.
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal’s Plastic Surgery Minutes: Labiaplasty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3o18m5x2g October 8, 2017.
- “The designer vagina on Health Report”
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/healthreport/the-designer-vagina/8781710 Australian Broadcast Corporation, August 7, 2017. With Gemma Sharp, PhD.
LAY PRESS INTERVIEWS
- Why would women want to have labiaplasty, 3.30.17, Forbes
Here’s who is a candidate for a labiaplasty in Northern California.
Surgery for the labia at Plastic Surgery Associates of Santa Rosa can be beneficial for women in Northern California who are worried about the appearance of their vaginal area, which can be enlarged because of childbirth, genetics, or a physical trauma.
Abnormal vaginal lips may cause discomfort, pain, irritation, or itching when engaging in activities, like sex and exercise. Labiaplasty can also be beneficial if you can’t wear revealing outfits (including leggings, bathing suits, or yoga pants) because of the appearance of your vaginal lips. While labia surgery shouldn’t impact your ability to get pregnant, our plastic surgeons suggest you wait until you are done childbearing to prevent undoing your results.
How it works
Many procedures for the labia can be completed in our on-site procedure room with a local anesthetic so you may drive yourself to and from our office.
If your treatment plan is more complex, you may need to be put under general anesthesia at a nearby surgical facility so you will need to have a responsible friend or family member drive you home following your procedure. Dr. Canales or Dr. Furnas can talk about your treatment plan and more at your consultation so you may make arrangements, if needed, prior to your appointment. A labiaplasty is generally done with the trim technique to cut away loose tissue, then the remaining skin is stitched so it is taut. Also available is the wedge technique that cuts away a triangular area of skin and excess folds from the clitoris before stitching the tissue closed.
What to Expect
Here’s what to expect when you undergo a labiaplasty in Northern California.
After your Treatment
You will require around one week to heal following your labiaplasty to allow discomfort and swelling to fade away before returning to normal activities. Dr. Canales or Dr. Furnas suggests applying a cold compress or ice pack if needed to decrease inflammation. You cannot have sexual activity or use tampons for at least 4 – 6 weeks following your treatment.
Patients typically have visible results in around six weeks and final results closer to six months following the procedure. The improvements of vaginal rejuvenation usually last for a long time; however, natural aging, significant weight fluctuations, and childbirth can impact your result.
- Enjoy intercourse without tugging or pulling from the labia.
- Participate in activities such as yoga, horseback riding or riding a bicycle without discomfort.
- Wear a wider range of clothing, like yoga pants or bathing suits without being self-conscious.
- Have better self-confidence- “out of sight, out of mind.”
View before & after patient images.
Before and after photos are shown with consent from actual patients of Plastic Surgery Associates and are displayed for informational purposes only. Individual results may vary.
From Our Clients
The results are exactly what I wanted them to be. The staff was amazing and answered any questions I had, and I had a ton. I always felt 100% comfortable and never pressured in anyway. I had a labiaplasty and breast aug. I do love my breast but I have to say that the labiaplasty changed my life! I feel more confident.
Breast Augmentation and Labiaplasty
Outstanding staff. Absolutely loved dr Furnas. Great communication, great environment and atmosphere I can sit more comfortable. Easier to keep clean, also sex life is more comfortable .
My experience with PSA was wonderful. The staff is warm and inviting. And they all strive to make you feel as comfortable as possible. The office is clean and well kept as well. When i went to Dr. Furnas i was a little nervous due to the type of procedure i was having. I first saw her for labiaplasty, now if you know what labiaplasty is I’m sure you can see why i was nervous and a little embarrassed. But in my case i was to uncomfortable in that area not to see someone about it. Looking back on it now i really wish i had met and saw Dr. Furnas sooner. She made me feel safe and comfortable. And after the procedure was done i absolutely loved my results. i was able to finally be active comfortably. I had also undergone breast augmentation by Dr. furnas and was pleasantly please on the results of that as well. She is very professional and a true artist. i highly Recommend her.
My recover was a piece of cake and it looks better than I expected! First let me start by saying my labiaplasty looks perfect! Second, Third and fourth, I received the best possible care from the staff, also from my surgeon Dr Canalas, and the follow up team within the office.
How much does a labiaplasty cost?
Vaginal rejuvenation surgery costs will be based on several factors. In your initial consultation with Dr. Canales or Dr. Furnas, they will understand your needs and wants before developing your personalized surgical plan. As soon as you have made your choices for your vaginal rejuvenation surgery, we can start to estimate your costs. There are very few plastic surgeons who have the qualifications to do labiaplasty that Dr. Furnas and Dr. Canales have. They also do revisions of other labiaplasty surgery that didn’t turn out well. Plastic Surgery Associates of Santa Rosa takes several payments, and we can give you information on low-interest financing.
Should I choose a plastic surgeon or OB/GYN?
As you research surgical vaginal rejuvenation, you will discover that most OB/GYNs (obstetricians and gynecologists) perform labiaplasty. Although most OB/GYNs are qualified to perform a labiaplasty, they may not be your best choice. An OB/GYN can remove loose skin from your vaginal lips, but a plastic surgeon, like Dr. Canales or Dr. Furnas, will focus on other aspects as well. They will ensure minimal scarring, and your final color, contour, and symmetry are natural in both appearance and feeling.
Will vaginal rejuvenation surgery cause insensitivity?
Like most surgeries, you may have short-term numbness in the treated area for a while. This should dissipate as your vaginal tissue and skin recover. For those concerned about sexual sensitivity, it’s important to realize that a labiaplasty corrects the vaginal lips and will not affect the nerves of the clitoris. A skilled plastic surgeon, like Dr. Canales or Dr. Furnas, with years of training and experience in labiaplasties will avoid the clitoris to prevent desensitizing the area.
What is the recovery process like after a labiaplasty?
Prior to your procedure, we will explain what you should expect following your labiaplasty, plus advice on how to keep yourself comfortable during your recovery. You should expect some swelling and bruising in the treated areas, plus a certain amount of discomfort right after your procedure. You need to stay home for at least a week before resuming nonstrenuous activities. We will evaluate your progress in your check-up appointments and tell you when you can resume sexual activity and exercise.
Are there nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation treatments?
Nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation treatments are available, which may improve small amounts of vaginal laxity. However, vaginal rejuvenation surgery is better for dramatic improvements to reshape and tighten your labia. In your initial consultation, we will review your surgical and nonsurgical treatment options and give you suggestions on what will meet your goals.
Comfortable and confident
Schedule an Appointment
Feel comfortable in your bathing suitm yoga suit or when you go for a bike ride! If you are not confident or comfortable because of the shape and size of your labia, find out more information about labiaplasty and vaginal rejuvenation surgery. Talk to Dr. Canales or Dr. Furnas about your needs and concerns so they can develop your unique labiaplasty surgical plan. Schedule an appointment at Plastic Surgery Associates in Santa Rosa or Marin County, CA to hear more about rejuvenation with a labiaplasty.